Audition and Submissions
or, how do you let know us know want to be involved?
I'll be honest that as a director – and as a performer – auditions are kind of terrible for everyone.
But also, it's really important for me to see who's performing in the territory, because I want to work with and develop local artists.
- If you're in an upcoming production or performing in any context around town or the territory, let me know and I'll do my best to attend.
- If you want to have a conversation to talk interests and abilities, let me know and we can have a tea.
For writers and creators:
While we have limited resources, we are eager to support and develop local theatre makers and projects.
In the spring, we'll be starting some regular activities aimed at bolstering creators and new projects.
Sign up for the mailing list to stay informed.
I'm open to working conversations with anyone working on theatre or other performance projects.
Given the my specific background as a dramaturge, the earlier in the in the idea phase, the more helpful I can be.
Get in touch and we will find some time.
Some values I work with:
- Generosity, humour, the belief that singing together helps, a mischievous glint in the eye, commitment to social justice and systems change, interest in big ideas, art's capacity to make the familiar strange and the strange familiar, the importance of a good night out that doesn’t require checking your brain or ethics at the door.
- To check out some of the things I’ve done in the past you can go to the Small Wooden Shoe website.
Types of folk we're hoping to meet:
- Dancers (all styles)
- Circus Arts
Other kinds of creators including:
- Video makers
- Audio makers
- Podcast or radio makers
Things I’m interested in and we’re working on over the next few years:
- Collaboration – Theatre created with the people performing/building it.
- Plays with music
- Variety shows
- Large scale outdoor puppets, parades, and spectacles.
- Developing peer networks for performance makers
- Developing work part-time over longer periods to allow collaboration with folks with jobs and/or kids
- Paying artists
- Readings and development of new work
- On-going performance training
- Connecting live performance to digital distribution
- Theatre practices as a way to help others in life, business, etc...
- Being surprised.